Bachelor in Finance
Upon successful completion of this program students will be able to:
- Prove financial knowledge with broader business fundamentals including understanding of management science, economics, accounting, computing and information systems, organizational behavior, business law and ethics;
- Have a foundation in science and liberal studies as delivered through the General Education program;
- Apply the subject matter critically and analytically in real situations;
- Comprehend the political, social, legal, regulatory, environmental and technological impacts on organizations;
- Provide and analyse financial information for a variety of decision-making purposes.
- Show understanding of the operation and design of financial systems, risks, financial instruments.
- Understand the role, functions and environment of financial services in an international context.
- Pursue postgraduate studies or professional qualifications in the field of finance.
As a result of completing this program, students should have acquired the following skills and values:
- advanced skills in the corporate finance field, e.g., planning, deciding and controlling corporate investment projects.
- excellent written and oral communication skills;
- demonstrate analytical and critical-thinking skills necessary to make sound business and personal decisions;
- numeric and quantitative skills including data analysis, interpretation and extrapolation;
- effective use of communication and information technology for business applications;
- effective self-management in terms of time, planning and behavior, motivation, self-starting, individual initiative and enterprise;
- self-awareness, openness and sensitivity to diversity in terms of people, cultures, business.
At New York College: With the Bachelor in Finance you are accepted by most MBA and MA programs offered at New York College. Most students choose to combine work with further study by choosing one of the master-level programs offered at New York College.
At Institutions Abroad: The entry qualifications for graduate studies differ from university to university; however the SUNY/Empire State College degree is accepted by most universities in the U.S. and all in the U.K. Popular universities usually require in addition to the degree a GPA higher than 3.0. If you are interested for study abroad opportunities, contact your advisor early on your studies with us, and through our Student Affairs Department come in contact with our alumni who continued their studies abroad.
Most bachelor's degree programs are designed to require 4 academic years of full-time study.
The Finance major is designed to equip students for careers in the investment, finance, banking and corporate financial services industries. The Finance major also has a strong risk management emphasis (ie the use of derivative securities such as options, futures and swaps to reduce risk exposure) which leads to risk management opportunities in the corporate sector.
Our Finance graduates are much in demand both within the Finance profession and also in other areas of business. There are a number of professional Finance bodies which offer further training to our graduates and this leads to careers in Audit, Business, Management, the Public Sector and Taxation.
Finance graduates have also a good record of moving up the hierarchy and achieving high positions within an organization, which is not necessarily in the Department of Finance.