Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons) in Sports Science and Coaching
The degree programme for the Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons), that is awarded by the UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON with specialization in Sports Science and Coaching, is offered entirely at New York College in Greece and provides the students with a solid knowledge background in the Science of Sports according to international academic standards, i.e. the graduates of the programme are adequately qualified to pursue a career in the field of Coaching.
In particular, the students of the programme acquire basic knowledge and develop necessary skills in all individual and team sports with the guarantee and credibility of the British academic community: The UNIVERSITY OF BOLTON—a renowned state university of Britain—has created this innovative programme exclusively for the students of New York College in Greece, the country where the concepts of Fair Play and Noble Rivalry ("εὖ ἀγωνίζεσθαι") of the Olympic Ideal were born. The programme combines theoretical training and on-field application in Physical Education and Sports Science, with courses taking place at NYC Athens Campus, a world-class downtown college campus, in the same neighborhood where knowledge and civilization were born. As to the applied part of the programme, New York College collaborates with the historical National Gymnastics Association (Εθνικός Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος, or ΕΓΣ), founded in late 19th century and located at walking distance (just 300 meters away) from the main entrance of New York College—where courses with supervised training, experiential classes, and competitive sports are conducted.
A strong asset of this academic programme is the expertise of professors and instructors, whose distinctions include research in sports, academic publications, national and international athletic awards, professional accomplishments and multi-year academic experience in Greece and abroad (USA, UK).
Recognition & continuity of studies
The programme is recognised on the basis of the procedures provided for by the Autonomous Section for the Implementation of European Legislation (ATEEN) of the Ministry of Education and in accordance with the legislation in force.
With the four-year degree (240 ECTS) and its recognition by ATEEN, graduates can work as Physical Education teachers in schools and continue at postgraduate and/or doctoral level.
«It is a shame (misfortune) for a man to grow old without ever experiencing the beauty (kallos) and strength (sthenos) that his body is capable of acquiring throughout his life».
Socrates (Xenophon Memoirs 3.12.8)
- Foundations of Sports Coaching
- Foundations of Anatomy and Physiology
- Historical and Social Aspects of Sports
- Foundations of Biomechanics in Sport
- English - Stage C for IFP and Pre-Masters
- English - Stage D for IFP and Pre-Masters
- Kalisthenics (Gymnastics)
- Academic Skills and Research Methods
- Introduction to Sports Physiology
- Introduction to Sports Psychology
- Sports Law - Organization and Management (Content of Sports)
- Sports Coaching I
- Introduction to Sports Nutrition
- Track and Field Ι
- Track and Field ΙΙ
- Swimming I
- Swimming II
- Sports Biomechanics
- Sports Coaching II
- Research Methods in Sports
- Sports Physiology and Ergometry
- Work-based Learning
- Personal Training I
- Personal Training II
- Weight Lifting
- Sports Nutrition
- Project I, II
- Advanced Sports Coaching and Data Analysis
- Sports for Children and Young People
- Biomechanics of Strength and Conditioning in Training
- Advanced Physical Activity and Health
Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons) in Sports Science and Coaching from the British State University of Bolton gives its graduates a competitive edge in the job market in the field of sports. It is designed to be a university-level programme for those who aspire to work in the field of coaching and sports education in companies, gyms, teams, sports clubs, associations, and organizations.
- Duration: Four years
- Language: Greek - English
- Semesters: Two per year
- Exam period: January, May
- Prerequisites: High School Diploma, English Language Level of IELTS 5.0 or equivalent